Becoming a U.S. Citizen
The process by which people from
foreign countries become U.S. citizens is called naturalization.
There are three steps in this process:
- File an application.
- Take a naturalization examination.
- Appear for a court hearing.
To become a citizen, or to be naturalized, a person
must meet certain requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have lived in the U.S. as a legal resident
for at least 5 years.
- Be of good moral character and loyal to the
- Be able to read, write, speak and understand
- Have basic knowledge and understanding of the
history, government structure and the Constitution of the U.S.
- Be willing to take an oath of allegiance to